SailNet Community - View Single Post - New online trip planner and largest POI base on map
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: New online trip planner and largest POI base on map

What is missing for me in all of these web sites is the answer to the question: what marina do I want to use. Specifically I want to enter a region (e.g. The Lisbola region of Portugal) or a Lat/Long and get back a list (sorted by recommendations or (of greater importance) COST of marinas. All of the web sites I have used presume you know a great deal about the area - names of towns, cities, etc. and that your destination is a particular place - e.g. Lisbon. Of course a graphic interface that would let me drill down (start with Italy, drill down to Sicily, you get the point.) I should point out that i know that Active Captain has such an interface but the underlying data is scarce, at least in Europe - no depth and height restrictions - no cost data, very few recommendations. At least I get a list of marinas but I don't know if I can even get there. To that point more than once I have looked at a marina that was behind a bridge I could not get under. Great.

Another point is that many marinas at least in Europe have no transient slips. The Imray Guides point this out - entire harbors of private clubs. To make it worse there are a lot of harbors where you can not anchor. So its nice to know they are there so you can avoid them.

I know that the world runs on smart devices and the Internet but we live aboard cruisers that actually cruise rather than sitting at a dock don't have access to any of that. That said, some form of text only system that allows email responses (such as used by Noonsite) so we can use our on board email systems (like airmail) to get data while underway would be a real blessing.

I am guessing we are a small audience and not a big part of the revenue model but we do have a great deal of knowledge about marinas and ports because we are in them 365 days per year.

Just my opinion. Best of luck in your venture - it looks like it is off to a good start.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by svzephyr44; 07-21-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook