SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar and No Start
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Yanmar and No Start

Hey,

The boat I race on has an older yanmar engine. I don't know the model, but it makes around 14 HP. Anyway, I've been racing on this boat for a few years and the engine is easiest starting diesel I've ever seen. The owner turns the key, presses the start button and the engine starts in 1 second.

This year the owner reported that the engine would not start. He would press the start button and nothing happened. He did some troubleshooting and determined the starter was bad. I assisted him and we were not able to get the engine to turn over. So I removed the starter (which wasn't too hard to do) and he bought a rebuild. We put it in this past Monday and the engine started right up. He raced that night. We had race practice Tuesday, and raced Thursday. The engine started and ran great. Thursday night, after the racing was over, the engine would not turn over. We sailed back to the mooring.

Friday I helped trouble shoot. The batteries were a little low (12.4V) so I tried my jump pack. No go. Then I removed one of my new group 27 batteries from my boat and connected that. No go. We gave up and I went home.

Today we tried again: perhaps the rebuilt starter was no good. I removed it and we powered it up sitting on the cabin sole. It spun nicely when I applied power to the main terminal and solenoid. I put the starter back in and nothing. I checked power at the solenoid and when the start switch was activated I saw 12.3V at the solenoid. I measured power at the starter on the heavy wire from the battery and also saw 12.3V. The power was a little low, but I thought it would be enough to turn the engine over.

At this point I have exhausted my knowledge so we went home. The owner got a mechanic to look at the boat and he had it running in about 15 minutes.

Anyone care to guess at the cause?

I'll put the solution to the problem in the next post.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook