SailNet Community - View Single Post - New online trip planner and largest POI base on map
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: New online trip planner and largest POI base on map

Jeffrey:

Either I was not clear or you misinterpreted my point. I was not suggesting some form of marina paid or sponsored links. What I was pointing out was that spending hours (usually in a restaurant or bar somewhere, marinas have crappy internet on the docks in general) drilling down to dozens of icons to find they contain nothing but the name of the marina is very frustrating. What I was asking for were search filters - exclude marinas without price information, exclude marinas without recommendations, etc. Also geo-searching. I know I want to be in Italy - but I don't want to have to drill down all along the coast. Let me box an area and show me (with my filters kicked in) a list of the marinas in the area.

While I am commenting I might add that you could consider extending your cost data. In Europe there are three costing systems: Length, bracket (a set of lengths) and length * beam. Add to that seasonal variation - most have a high and low season. You might make storing such data possible.

I appreciate you run a business and that it depends heavily on user contributions. I also understand you have the bootstrapping problem. At some point enough people have contributed data that the site becomes useful. Printed cruising guides are expensive, particularly if you move around a lot so I am a great fan. I am just trying to make your site more user friendly for me.

Regards
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook