SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reducing leeway
Thread: Reducing leeway
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Reducing leeway

Call me Cassandra too then as I'm with nolatom. The Oday 272 is a shoal draft boat, albeit with a winged keel. Shoal draft (like most other options with boats) is a compromise which makes sense for the skinny water of the Chessy. The trade off is that you are less likely to scrape the bottom but once you start heeling the boat over there is less and less keel showing to give resistance to leeway. Keep the boat on it's feet and the keel will provide resistance to leeway. This means reducing sail area by reefing and furling.

I have sailed on an O'Day 272 on the LI Sound. The winged keel did save us from a sad fate. We became grounded on an ebb tide and could not get the boat off. Winged keels are notoriously difficult to get un-grounded. The 8' of tidal range went out and the boat was left standing on the beach on her winged keel, like a ballerina in toe shoes. Hours later the tide came back and we floated off with only the skipper's pride slightly damaged (not my boat).

Edit to add: We wrote a song about this incident called: "High and Dry".

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 07-22-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook