SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compression post issue
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012

algee is on a distinguished road
Re: Compression post issue

I know this is an old post, but here is my story, and the solution I used. When I bought my I-28 I looked it over pretty close and the major flaw I saw was under the sole where the compression post sat. The floor was OK but under it in the bilge was a mess of rotted out plywood.

I was fairly new to boating and everything I had read advised to get a survey before buying. So I called one of the more respected surveyors in the area to look at my prospestive purchase. He came out and looked the boat over (it was in a cradle on land) and about 20 minutes he came out and only noted a few flaws-hose not double clamped -possible blister-crack in the keel joint, BUT NOTHING about the rotted out mast step!! Before he got off the boat I asked him if he had noticed any problems in the bilge, so he went back inside to look. And lo and behold he SAW the problem! He had never lifted the floor boards to inspect the bilge on his initial inspection. Well my confidence in him and other suveyors certainly went down alot.

About 2 weeks later he sent me an adder to his bill ( which I didn't pay) and an elaborate drawing of framing, epoxy and fiberglass to fix the problem. I think if I had a boatyard do this repair it would have been several thousand dollars.

Well. I didn't have that kind of money, so I remembered the KISS principle. Whats been around for thousands of years. doesn't rot, is easy to work with. and is cheap?? CONCRETE!

I bought a sack of concrete, formed it up with some scrap plywood, and 15 years later it still looked like the day I put it in, and the mast had not moved one iota!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook