SailNet Community - View Single Post - new 120% genoa
Thread: new 120% genoa
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
Re: new 120% genoa

Here’s how it broke down for us on a 40 footer:

The Dacron sails, main and 135 genoa, were going around $2700 each. With a re-cut here and there they were expected to last 20 years. They will stretch and become less efficient as time goes on.

The Pentax (mylar/Kevlar), which we got, were 5 grand each and expected to last around 10 years. (we blew out the old main in a gale so the insurance company bought us that one, minus the deductable). These will hold their shape well, a rapid decline at the end.

The carbon fiber sails were pushing 8 grand each and expected to only last up to 5 years. Strong and light weight, but degrade quickly…don’t leave them out in the sun.

I can’t attest to the longevity figures, they are only what I was told by the maker.

Seems to me that by going with a local loft, especially when racing, there is a level of support from the sail maker that you can’t get from mail order. Our maker came out to the boat for measurements, was willing to go for a ride, adjust the rigging, check the cut, and make sure the sails were flying right…at no additional cost (save a beer or two).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook