SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dealing with spiders at the dock

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rhr1956 
#1 ·
Spiders give me the creeps. I don't like the little black poop spots either. My wife discovered an easy and effective way to keep them under control. She uses dryer sheets inside the cabin. She crumples them up and stashes them all over the place. she also rubs the interior surface a little as well. Since starting this about a month ago, the spider count is down by about 90% which is much better for my "creeps factor". Give it a try.:)

#4 ·
I've use an insecticide, Tempo SC Ultra by Bayer, to control spiders on our Bene 351 and at home and it works great. Its a synthetic pyrithenon, thats micro encapsulated and rated for food service areas. Because its micro encapsulated, it typically will last 30 days outside. Best place buy it is eBay.
I fought spiders around our home for 10 years and was loosing the battle, until I found this stuff and now I spray the boat and house about every 6 weeks.

#5 ·
I've had a lot of success with doing the occasional spider hunt. Most boat spiders hide out during the day, and start their web building after the sun goes down. By the time it gets dark, all the spiders are available to be eliminated.

I use a spray can insecticide called Hot Shot. It's water based and kills on contact quickly. As soon as it's completely dark, I use a flashlight to locate the spiders, and then give each a short blast of the Hot Shot. Avoid the temptation to blast again. One short blast, and in a few minutes the spider is belly up.

I do the boat, and the dock. I spray additionally around the pilings where they like to build their webs. I also spray the areas where I know they like to hide during the day.

Once you've finished your spider hunt, you have killed all the spiders. They are not a colony insect, so there aren't a thousand more where you can't see them.
Do a thorough hunt one night, and the next night you're spider free. My boat is 31 feet, in a 40 foot slip, and the hunt only takes about 5 minutes.

#8 ·
Have you thought about one of the electronic devices that are supposed to keep them away? I have one in my shop and it seems to work but I have not yet tried one on the boat. As long as shore power is on I would think it should work. Which reminds me I need to order one to try it.

#9 ·
My biggest issue with spiders is the spider **** on the hull. What a PITA!! I use home defense bug spray that has worked well in the past but this year not so much. I am going to clean the boat this week and spray again.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

#13 · (Edited)
What is it with critters on boats. I've lately been in a battle with the $#&(^! yellow jackets. They seem to seek out every hole or small space on my boat instead of the perfectly good, numerous TREES all around where the boat is blocked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.