SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Let's talk about anchors some more

I like big, what most consider "oversized" anchors. My boat is 28 feet, my primary anchor is a 50 pound CQR, with 100 feet of 5/8 chain. I don't drag, set it and forget it. My second anchor or "lunch hook" is 35 pound Danforth with 30 feet of 3/8 chain and 100 feet of 1/2 inch, 3 strand. My storm anchor, that is stored in an aft Lazzerette is a 70 pound Danforth that I put on the 5/8 chain. I carry 2, 100 pound dumbells that I use as sentinal's if I anchor deep. I carry dive gear and a lift bag for dealing with this ground tackle. I also have on board a 30 pound folding fisherman (my fav.) and this claw, plow looking thing, and a 35 pound northhill. I have all these on board and use all of them all the time. I've even made some money renting some of this gear to ill equiped cruisers when a blow is coming. I don't think you can have too much ground tackle on board. I'm writing this because I want people to look at their ground tackle and consider if it's actually big enough, or do they just have what the boat came with, or what they read was the right size somewhere.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook