View Single Post
post #25 of Old 07-23-2012
Night_Sailor
Captain

Re: Balsa cored hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
Huh?
Why would you bother with a 3/8" core if the total thickness was 2"? Why would you compare that to a single thickness of 1/4 to 5/16"? The purpose of using a core is to space the two loading carrying surfaces further apart thus making a stiffer beam. It does get much stiffer, but it actually loses strength against a puncture. Core only makes sense if the core thickness is a large percentage of the total thickness.

Gary H. Lucas
I was responding to the comment that cored hulls were not a good, or as good as cored hulls. I felt the comment was nonsense comparing apples with oranges. I responded in kind.

The purpose of a cored hull is to save weight and gain strength. The one advantage of a solid hull is longevity and ease of maintenance at the expense of weight.

Regarding the layup mentioned. I am talking from experience. My Ericson 46 is literally bulletproof. It is literally as described or thicker. You would need armor piercing ammunition to penetrate this kind of layup. As I have already stated, back then builders thought fiberglass needed to be as thick as wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome