SailNet Community - View Single Post - Balsa cored hulls
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Balsa cored hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
Huh?
Why would you bother with a 3/8" core if the total thickness was 2"? Why would you compare that to a single thickness of 1/4 to 5/16"? The purpose of using a core is to space the two loading carrying surfaces further apart thus making a stiffer beam. It does get much stiffer, but it actually loses strength against a puncture. Core only makes sense if the core thickness is a large percentage of the total thickness.

Gary H. Lucas
I was responding to the comment that cored hulls were not a good, or as good as cored hulls. I felt the comment was nonsense comparing apples with oranges. I responded in kind.

The purpose of a cored hull is to save weight and gain strength. The one advantage of a solid hull is longevity and ease of maintenance at the expense of weight.

Regarding the layup mentioned. I am talking from experience. My Ericson 46 is literally bulletproof. It is literally as described or thicker. You would need armor piercing ammunition to penetrate this kind of layup. As I have already stated, back then builders thought fiberglass needed to be as thick as wood.