SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

We have a 75 lb CQR with 200 feet of 1/2" chain on our 54ft - 20 ton. These anchors do not have good reputations for setting and I do believe that many never actually get them set, but just swing around the chain pile they laid on the ocean floor.

However, we do get ours set, almost always on the first attempt. I've wondered if the heavier CQRs set better than the lighter ones I've seen tested. What I don't trust, however, is that it would reset itself if we spun around 180 degrees in a good blow overnight. One of these days, I am going to upgrade to the newest generation anchors.

When we drop most of the chain, the weight of it all is probably similar to many mooring blocks. It must be pushing 1,000 lbs. Any wind under 10 or 12 knots and she just won't move, set or not. It is impressive to be anchored in 25 knots and see that chain stretched and think of the stress it takes, which I did see just a few weeks ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook