SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Well, I just aquired an outboard for my dingy, but it's to small for any heavy weather, I have used it for light wind manuvering on the hip, and to set anchors. Scope is important, very. I oversized my anchor by a fluke ( no pun intended) A friend needed some money so I gave her 100 bucks for the big CQR and the 5/8 chain and fell in love with it. Before that my primary was the 35 pound danforth and the 3/8 set up, but I never slept well, worried while ashore and drug occasionaly. One time in Key West, I was anchored a little too close to the World Cup Ciggerette Boat race course. I had spent the night in town and in the morning, I saw the Coast Guard out on my boat trying to raise my Big anchor, which I'm glad was deployed because it was blowing 30 pluss. They couldn't do it for lack of technique, so they disconnected it and cast off and towed me to a city mooring. I wrote a letter and complaimed and they replaced it with a 25 pound Danforth and and some dinky little chain. They went by some book on size suggestions. The first time I hung that anchor up on something I bent it. When I got it up it looked like a pretzle and the chain links had seperated. I finally located my big anchor the next week on a transect dive. My 15 foot Boston Whaler has a 25 pound anchor as I dive out of it a lot and want to know it's there when I get back. My 40 foot dive boat has 40 pound danforth which has a bent fluke, too small. it's a lunch hook only. Those deltas and such are great untill it really blows and it drags a little and then hangs on some debris or a rock ledge, you'll bend it. I have a versatile inventory of anchors for the different bottoms I encounter.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook