SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We have a 75 lb CQR with 200 feet of 1/2" chain on our 54ft - 20 ton. These anchors do not have good reputations for setting and I do believe that many never actually get them set, but just swing around the chain pile they laid on the ocean floor.

However, we do get ours set, almost always on the first attempt. I've wondered if the heavier CQRs set better than the lighter ones I've seen tested. What I don't trust, however, is that it would reset itself if we spun around 180 degrees in a good blow overnight. One of these days, I am going to upgrade to the newest generation anchors.

When we drop most of the chain, the weight of it all is probably similar to many mooring blocks. It must be pushing 1,000 lbs. Any wind under 10 or 12 knots and she just won't move, set or not. It is impressive to be anchored in 25 knots and see that chain stretched and think of the stress it takes, which I did see just a few weeks ago.
I agree that all-chain anchor rode is the answer with the CQR. Big ships and naval moorings rely on the catenary curve of the chain as much as weight of the anchors - few anchors drag when the pull is straight along the bottom! We have a 45lb Kingston Plow (Canadian CQR copy) with 150 feet of 3/8 chain on our 9 ton Hunter 37 cutter. We used to sometimes have trouble setting it on a chain & rope rode, but after installing a windlass and all-chain, we never fail to get hooked. I also have a 45 lb Danforth and plan to add a Bruce (one of the most popular anchors around our waters).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook