SailNet Community - View Single Post - I'm still arm wrestling with Jack Helms and he's still winning.
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012

jumaggafanny is on a distinguished road
I'm still arm wrestling with Jack Helms and he's still winning.

There are few parts of my 1975 Helms I haven't repaired replaced or improved. I admit I have been avoiding the standing rigging, here's why.

Mine is in excellent shape and and tunes well enough. I've saliled this rig 20 yrs. and I strongly believe it is original. Yup 37 yrs old and exclusively used in salt last 30 yrs.
Preventative maintenience says replace it, and I agree especially since Metal Fatigue is an accumilitative stress phenomenon.

Here's the issue.
I've disassembled shroud ends and can't pass the swage from either end thru spreader tip. Current spreader tip is solid insert into 3/4" st. stl tubing secured by rivet. I can drill out rivet to release but then the shroud still is "trapped" on the tip.

Got a suggestion? Better way?

I believe I'll grind from end a deep groove down to drilled hole. I would be able to release shroud and I could drill and tap #6's w/sheet metal cover. I am intent on retaining my near perfect standing rig as spare so I obviously don't wish to merely cut it away and additionally I have to reinstall the new shroud.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook