View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
... centinal ...
Sentinel. Also called a kellet. See Tuning an Anchor Rode and specifically Rode - Static Behavior . Not nearly as effective as a properly sized anchor although it does offer some marginal benefit in high winds if close to the anchor and in light winds if a bit more than depth of water from the bow roller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
A. drop the hook while still moving forward
At the risk of nitpicking, in light air dropping the hook while underway downwind may be the most effective way to set the anchor IF one uses the technique you described elsewhere of running the rode out far enough before snubbing (avoiding piling rode up on the bottom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
When I began to evaluate the so-called 'next generation anchors', I found that they had to be wildly heavier than the anchors that I had been using. I concluded that if they need that much weight to generate adequate holding for a boat of my boat's size and weight, it seemed like these newer designed anchors must be a comparatively inefficient designs compared to the WW II era designs that I currently use.
My perspective is different: the fluke anchors (notably Fortress and Danforth) allow the use of much lighter anchors than other designs. Fluke anchors have great holding power, especially when evaluated as holding/unit anchor weight. Their downside is mediocre resetting in areas with significant reversals in wind or current. That isn't an issue in the Chesapeake. In New England, Savannah, Beaufort NC and much of the rest of the sailing world it is a factor.

You're welcome to borrow my spare Rocna but without a windlass I think you might sue me for back injury. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook