SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
My perspective is different: the fluke anchors (notably Fortress and Danforth) allow the use of much lighter anchors than other designs. Fluke anchors have great holding power, especially when evaluated as holding/unit anchor weight. Their downside is mediocre resetting in areas with significant reversals in wind or current. That isn't an issue in the Chesapeake. In New England, Savannah, Beaufort NC and much of the rest of the sailing world it is a factor.

You're welcome to borrow my spare Rocna but without a windlass I think you might sue me for back injury. *grin*
I agree entirely that fluke anchors are at their best in a venue like the Chesapeake and bottom conditions like mud or sand, where they can sink their flukes into something moderately solid. That was why I was thinking in terms of a composite (alum/steel) anchor. I think that the reset issues can be designed around which is why I think the roll bar makes sense.

The offer on the Rocna is very generous, and made me smile, but thinking of me hauling it up by myself in a breeze, reminds me of the old New Jersey (land of my youth) wisecrack, "Yeah, You 'n'whadahmy!" (which is Northern 1960's Jersey-ese for 'you and what army').

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook