SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Jeff - I have two Rocna 25s (55#s). You're welcome to try one anytime I'm not out cruising. I don't worry about a secondary anchor much around the Bay.

It's not just the weight of anchor and chain - it's the break-out force, and all the mud that comes up with the anchor.

For the plow and spoon (new generation anchors from Rocna, Manson, Spade, and Raya) weight is good. The setting performance of the Spade aluminum and steel models makes that pretty clear.

Even with two big anchors and a lot of chain forward Auspicious sits above her design lines forward so I don't worry much about weight forward. Even in cruising mode (I use the v-berth for storage) we're about 3" clear of Frer's lines forward. Only 1" aft.

On topic, I'm very impressed with the new generation anchors. I have a lot of personal experience with CQR, Bruce, Delta, Fortress, Rocna, and Spade.

For my use profile, Rocna/Spade are definitely the way to go for holding the boat. I use a small Fortress for the dinghy.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook