SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

You asked for some discussion, so...

I want to have a primary anchor that will hold my boat securely in 90% of the situations that I'm ever going to see. And then a secondary anchor that I can add for that other 10% of situations. I wouldn't second-guess anyone who also wants to carry a lunch hook, and a reasonably sized stern anchor. More than that, though, and I think you are carrying a lot of weight that adds no practical benefit.

No offense, but unless your 28-footer is WAAAAY more heavy than the average 28-footer, I think a 50 lbs. anchor is too much. A 30 or 35 lbs. anchor would be a lot easier to manage, and would hold your boat in any reasonable anchorage, even in very high winds. An additional 20 lbs. anchor that you could use for extreme conditions, or as a stern anchor when you wanted one, would cover it all. And, frankly, even these numbers are a bit on the high side--for most 28' boats a 25 lbs. primary and 15 lbs. secondary would be plenty.

But that's just my opinion. It is obvious that you are comfortable with the way you are doing things and will not change your mind. That's fine. You're welcome to carry all the anchor that you want, and I will carry all the anchor that I want.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook