SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Denverdon,
Certainly... My 28 footer was built in '65. It's a bit heavier. I don't think there is such a thing as too big, only too small. Well, too big to carry of course. If a 35 is good enough, why not add 15 pounds and make it more than enough. From 1978 to 1994 the boat sailed with 2, 35 pound anchors and a boat length of chain on each. It was good enough most of the time, but that's not good enough. I keep an anchor ready for quick deploy in a cockpit laz. That's my (OH SH!T) anchor. The 70 pound storm anchor stowed low in the aft laz is my boat insurance. I've been so glad I had that thing on several occasions. ( Huricane Gorges for example) The boat has been anchored out 90% of the time since 1990 in many countries and conditions. I like to be ready for the worst and hope for the best. My boat has nothing on it, no inboard, nothing but light weight wood interior, nothing stowed above the water line. I have room to add the weight of something as crucial as ground tackle. I wrote earlier what I did to a 25 pound anchor. The coast gaurd read somewhere that 25 pounds was sufficiant, I bent that thing like it was butter. I've bent a few 35 danforths as well. When a big blow is coming and I dump that 70 pounder in the drink, I laugh. I've had people around when I do it and when they see it splash, it all makes sense. One time in Belize we were preparing for a 3 day inland expedition with some fellow cruisers and when they saw me pull that thing out they were more than envious of the peace of mind I would have. Kind of like Crockadile Dundee, "that's not a knife, THIS is a knife."

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-24-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook