SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Lets see, I just bought a 9 lb lewmar fast set with 5' of 3/8" bbb chain, 200' of 7/16" 3 strand for a 6500 lb, 28' on deck boat, 25' WL 29.5' OAL........ betcha the captn will be liken that setup!

BUT, if one wants to disCUSS anchors and types, one also need to disCUSS the conditions they will set in, ie soil below, winds, protection etc. If I was going to be in a Hurricane, ie 60-80 knots of wind, "NO" I would not use the above anchor pkg. But for winds under 20 knots, when racing, wind might die, one needs and anchor to keep the current from grounding you out, it will work just fine. It will also work to slow you down while you bring up a bigger anchor from below. IE it also meets the local min anchor at ready race specs. Which is (LOA/17)cubed, or about 5.5 lbs in my case. Total pkg is (LOA squared/80) or 11.25 lbs........some of the class's require a 2nd anchor equal to or bigger than the one always at the ready on the bow.

So with this in mind, yes I do have a 7.5KG bruce, with 15' of 1/4 chain, toying with going to a 10Kg and 25-30' of 5/16" as my overnight weekend setup, with 250 or so feet of 5/8" 3 strand. ALong with, I would not dare to anchor in 15' of water, I might only be in 1' of water over the next 6-7 hours! Depending upon where in the tide you are, ie high or low, you need to know what the other will do, ie if a 12' current high is going on, the next LOW is -4, which happens around here in the puget sound.......you're grounded if you start in 15'! an hour or two or three ago!

30' is the lowest I would anchor in frankly around here, just so I have at least 15' at LOW tide!

Not that I am trying to say that aaron is wrong or right......if he does has to deal with hurricanes, then I can see having a BIG anchor for those times. I would probably do as Jeff, get a BIG alum fortress or equal, appropriate chain length and size for the conditions I would do. Otherwise, not sure a danforth where I am is my cup o tea! I'll take a claw/bruce/spade style for around here, which is the most popular, not to say danforth are not popular........

marty