SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I have a 3 foot tide tops. If I were to race, I'd probably take all but my dingy anchor off the boat, but the only thing I race is the weather. ( secretly my own time when I sail to Honduras.) For me it's about options for extended cruising. I don't know where I'm going to be, or what the weather is going to be in six months, a thousand miles from here, so best be prepaird and have ground tackle for any and all. If I have to anhcor on a rock bottom in 45 feet of water, I can do that. If I need to anchor in a shallow mudy un-protected lagoon, I'm ready. If the storm of the century is coming and I need to duck into some harbour in the middle of no where (That happend, I ran for Fort Jeferson, and it blew 100+), bring it, I've got the tackle on board and if you are near me and worried you don't have the right stuff, well, you can borrow some of mine becuase I have enough for a another boat. Proper prior planning prevents p.p.p.....I just like to be ready to protect my boat, my self and crew, if I have any, and help out the guy anchored next me ( from dragging in to me, as I've done many times in the past.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-27-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook