SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who pays for the food and beer?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who pays for the food and beer?

I'm not a serious racer. We do our local club's Wednesday night series and the occasional day-long or two-day-long race. We also take crew for 2-5 day cruises. I pick up all expenses that I would otherwise pick up if no crew came along - fuel, dockage, entrance fees, etc. I provide ice, some beer, and access to the ship's stores, including booze. Sometimes I'll bring a bucket of chicken or cheese for a Wednesday night race. For "big" events, like the Governors' Cup, I'll also provide shirts and hats with the boat's logo. When we provision, I'll either assign crew responsibility for a certain meal ("Kathy, you make lunch on Saturday. Brian, you have breakfast on Sunday," etc.) and I assign myself a meal as well; or we'll split the provisioning costs and have one designated cook. Our crew nearly always bring beer or a bottle and often bring things to eat, even onr non-provisioned day sails and evening races. Currently, we've got about 9 bottles of assorted spirits aboard since even we can't keep up with the donations to the liquor locker.

What kind of crew do we get? Certainly not professional-grade crew, but we don't have a problem filling the manifest.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook