SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat was Hit Bad
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
1972 Islander MK II is a nice boat. The interior is nicely done. Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Be grateful no one was injured.
As a previous poster has said, "Mentally prepare yourself for the damage to surpass the value of the boat."
I see now that it's a '72 Islander. Start deciding now if you can figure out a way to do the repairs yourself or do you know someone who can help you... IF the insurance company will pay you for the boat then allow you to buy it back for less than $1000.

From the picture I can see some hull to deck joint damage... that will probably total it or repairs (even if you buy the boat back and do them yourself) will be costly and messy.

If you plan on continuing to live aboard, prepare to walk away and start shopping for another boat.

If you plan on walking away, start by getting everything that is not bolted down off the boat before you sign anything. Remove any electronics that are worth saving and moving to your next boat. The insurance company will probably only give you what the book value is.

1978 Islander Price, 1978 Islander Value & Used 1978 Islander Specs | NADAguides | NADA Marine Appraisal Guides
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook