SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat was Hit Bad
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

Wow, thanks for all the advice, guys.

I do have a witness to the accident, but let me give you the bullet points.

Accident happened around 3:30 while I was ashore, and thank goodness for that. The boat was hit so hard I could've been seriously injured.

The powerboater left a note in my cockpit acknowledging that he hit me, saying he lost control of one of his engines. He later said his transmission went out. I'm not sure what happened, but the witness said the boater collided into Libby under great power while trying to anchor and hit me more than once and pushed the boat. My boat was securely anchored and thus didn't give. She was and still is well out of the traffic lanes. This happened in Liberty Bay, which is one of the largest anchorages in the PNW. Both the police officer and I questioned how anyone could be struck in such a large anchorage. Whether it was the boater's transmission, engine control loss, or something else, I'm going to leave the investigation up to the police.

I've taken pictures of the hole, both from the inside and the outside. The boater and his wife came over later, as I was in a stake of shock and panic, and wrapped up the area with plastic wrap and duct tape.

I don't want to get into too many specifics regards the boater's identity or type of boat, but the boat was a powerful one and hit me hard. His insurance is BoatUS, so I'm hopeful. I've mentally prepared that the costs of repair may exceed the purchase price of the boat, but that's also a bummer. The boats on the market today, in my area and my price range, don't come close to my Libby. I got her for a great deal. Right now I'm gathering as much advice and information as I can before taking action.

Thank you all so much for the offers of help and advice, and I appreciate the referrals to reputable shipwrights and boatyards in the Pacific Northwest.