SailNet Community - View Single Post - hot water from the boat engine
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012

dancamp is on a distinguished road
Re: hot water from the boat engine

Eric said: "i bled the system by opening the overpressure valve on the fresh water side and just let the engine circulate the water until the air was bled out of the ststem."
I'm having a problem bleeding my hot water tank to get my engine coolant to circulate through it to make it work. I'm thinking I have air in the engine coolant line and I need to bleed the system. I tried opening the lines going from the engine to the tank and from the tank back to the engine. I got coolant to flow from both lines at the W.H. but still they won't heat up at the water heater. I also tried opening the over pressure valve and letting water drain from it, but it didn't show any air in the water line so I shut it off. I also tried opening the hot water faucets (maybe not long enough) but they also didn't show any air coming out.
My question is "how can opening the fresh water pressure relief valve, or even the hot water faucets, affect the engine coolant line?" They are two different lines. I was told to open the coolant intake and exhaust lines until coolant came out without air, which I did, but that didn't work either. The heater was working well until I drained it and disconnected it from the engine for the winter (big mistake).
any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook