SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising in a Hunter?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012

SloopNanoose is on a distinguished road
Cruising in a Hunter?

Hi Everyone,

I would like a second opinion and any advice I can get. Here is the situation:

I have a 1984 Hunter 31 in Bremerton, WA and I am planning a trip through the Panama Canal and up to Charleston, SC. I have been advised to just truck it rather than sailing by a couple of members here. I'm wondering if that is a unanimous feeling, and what the problems would be, so that if possible I can take precautions, and make the trip safely.

My plan is to leave in early to mid September, and sail out of the Strait of Juan de Fuca and well away from the coast of Washington and Oregon to avoid the lee shore. Then turning back to the east and re-supplying in San Francisco Bay, most likely Emoryville, since it is a nice relatively straight shot in from the ocean, and I have friends in the east bay. Then heading out and south to repeat the process in San Diego where I will begin port hopping, staying at sea for no more than 2 to 4 days in near coastal water. passing through the Panama canal and Island hopping the eastern Caribbean up to the Dominican Republic where I'll take some time off and enjoy the beach followed by a longer hop to the florida keys, then more short sails up the atlantic coast.

I understand the difficulty of beating to weather in my boat, and I realize some of that will be essential, especially on the atlantic side, but the Pacific side should (according to Coast Pilot) be relatively calm (another difficulty I am foreseeing as a scheduling issue) I would be interested in what the group thinks my problems will be, and whether they can be overcome, and if so, how? I am particularly interested in issues that might tend to compromise safety.

Thank you all for your wisdom!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook