SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat was Hit Bad
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road
Re: My Boat was Hit Bad

dongreerps and all,
When I first saw the damage, I was horrorstruck, because yes, this is my home, and yes, I love this boat. I named her after a character from my novel, so to me, Libby the boat has ties to Libby the character. She's "the instigator of all things brave." When I saw the hole in her, my heart broke. My home, my baby, my princess, my preciousness. I've put work into her, and working on a boat equals loving a boat. I've sailed her solo. She and I have a relationship. Of course I know she's an inatimate object, but she doesn't feel that way. We take care of each other. Right now, my biggest goal, what's keeping my mind abuzz, is making her well again.

I've been working on getting all of this sorted out ever since, talking about it a lot. Yesterday afternoon I nursed a terrible headache, was tense all night long, and stressing out, mostly because I'm not sure what's going to happen next and because my home was violated. There's a hole in my bedroom. I've gotten onto the phone with the insurance company and have gotten the proverbial ball moving. Their surveyor came out today, the boat yard rep is coming out tomorrow at 0700 for a repair estimate. My body is showing signs of stress and I'm listening. You'll be pleased to know that I'm an avid kick boxer. I missed class last night and this morning, but I'll go tomorrow night to relieve some of the tension. I'll also go for a brisk walk this evening to help flush some of these emotions out of me. Exercise is great and I believe in its healing powers.

Right now I'm still in the state of busyness, trying to make it all okay again, collecting facts, numbers, and recording every single thing that happens during this process. I've had people in the sailing community offer their help, in addition to the abundance of great advice. For right now, I'm okay, but as you know, these sorts of things have a delayed reaction. My mom is constantly checking in to make sure I'm handling it. Stress takes its toll, and I'm monitoring myself closely.

I started this thread last night, and this morning before talking to anyone, I read everyone's responses. I'm doing everything I can to ensure I'm doing this right. Libby isn't just a toy to me, she's my home, my gateway to adventure, and part of my identity. I have treated the situation urgently, and so far the insurance company has complied and worked with me. I'm trying to stay as levelheaded as I can.

I'm so thankful for the sailing community. You guys rock my toe-socks. I'll know more about what's going to happen tomorrow morning when I get a rough cost estimate, but won't know what will happen for sure until the insurance company gives the repair a yay or nay vote. I'm hoping and praying for the best, whatever the best is.