SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road
1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions

Hello. I'm new to the forum and potentially (hopefully?) will be the new owner of a small cruiser in the near future. Finally have my wife on board (ha ha) with the idea. We sail exclusively on Lake Champlain.

I currently have my eye on a Grampian 26'. 1973 Grampian Grampian 26 sailboat for sale in Vermont

And I'm also looking at a Seafarer 26'. 1981 Seafarer sloop sailboat for sale in Vermont

The Grampian appeals to me a bit more because (1) I've read that these are fairly well built boats and seem to age well without a lot of major problems; and (2) the outboard will be a whole lot easier to maintain/replace than a 1981 inboard Yanmar (as much as I'd like to have an inboard).

My main questions are for general opinions on these boats, but also what to look for when going for a viewing. I've been sailing smaller daysailers all my life, but have never been the purchaser of a boat, and don't have experience assessing larger boats. The Grampian is in the water currently--should I ask to have it pulled?

I've also seen mention of people getting a survey done. Is that something I will have to do to insure? The price point on these boats does not seem to justify the cost of what I understand a survey costs, especially if I also have to pay to have the Grampian pulled.

Thanks in advance. Hope to spend some time here with you folks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook