SailNet Community - View Single Post - wind conditions and reefing
View Single Post
post #21 of Old 07-26-2012
casey1999

Re: wind conditions and reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasNYC View Post
I think my question was not so much about my sailing skills but about technical specifications and how to interpret them.
I added it to my profile, but for the record
I have an ALOA (no H) 34 its from 1974.
I am more trying to figure out what to do when overall wind is below reefing speed but there are gusts that go above. There are of course ways I can adjust the rigging so less wind his the sails, or I can head up-wind in a gust to keep from getting blown over.
Do you think the boat would get blown over in a 30 knot gust? Or just heel some more?
Andreas
I have a 34 footer draws 6 feet with 5,000 lb lead in the fin keel. I put a reef in the main when the wind hits a constant 20 knots (with gust to 25). and reef the furler jib a little. At 30 knots I would have two reefs in the main and the jib in more. was sailing like this once when gust hit over 40 k and suddenly started to lay the boat down more than I liked- quickly released the main sheet and boat came back (a little scary when single handing). I would set the sails for the largest gust expected. I'd rather be going slow and in total control.
Regards
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome