SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thousand Islands sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006

katytoo is on a distinguished road
Thousand Islands sailing

It's approaching winter and therefore I can do whatever I like in terms of planning sailing trips for next summer!! I do this every year, but somehow my trips never quite materialize. Anyhow, I am again thinking seriously about sailing from western Lake Erie, canaling along the NY State Barge Canal to Oswego and then north to Thousand Islands. I've dreamed of this trip for years, and am realizing that if I don't get off my butt and do it it will forever be a dream and never a reality.
OK, with that preface, here's my question, aimed at those who do sail regularly in that area. Is it possible to anchor off some of the islands, as it is, for example, in the North Channel. Or, is traffic and so forth such that I would have to use marinas for overnight. Marinas, of course, are expensive and I prefer to use them only now and then when I need to. I get the feeling that Thousand Islands is an area where people with money hang out, and, unfortunately I am not one of those. But, it also looks like a beautiful area that I'd like to see.
My intention is to stay in the Thousand Islands for maybe several days, and I don't think I would be there for anymore than four or five days.
Is there a good guide to the islands for sailors that would give me the sort of information I'll need while there?
Any sort of help or advice that members of this board can give me will be greatly appreciated. I'm also hoping to make the winter meeting in Oswego, and perhaps seeing some of you there.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Fair winds,
Peter Kozup, S/V Katy Too
Cape Dory 26, Hull #42
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook