SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions

I owned a 72 Grampian 26 and sailed it for about a decade on Lake Michigan. I was very pleased with the boat. Sturdy and sailed well. Not much of a looker, though.

I had a long shaft Evinrude 10 horse on it, which provided ample power and I experienced little problem keeping the prop in the water, under a variety of conditions. The waves on Lake Michigan are known to be steep, and spaced closely together. The outboard sits in a cutout in the transom, which is handy for backing into a slip. I found it easier to back in than go forward, as I was able to hold the boat's tiller in one hand and the motor's tiller in the other and easily point the stern where I wanted it to go. With an outboard, you'll never have a repair that exceeds the cost of a decent used replacement motor. An older Yanmar might give you excellent service, but if you have a major problem, you are sceeeeeerewd. If a repair is required on your outboard, just unscrew it from the boat and toss it in your trunk and take it to the shop of your choosing. Just my opinion, but I think there's a lot to be said for an outboard on a 26 foot boat, especially one that does a good job of keeping it's prop in the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook