SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012

kb3pwc is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: 1973 Grampian 26' -- Opinions & Questions

Wow, our first "big boat" was a Grampian 26. We purchased her for a song and had the most fun, sailing her all the time always having a GREAT Adventure.

Things you want on one of these vessels is a roller furler. As noted the side decks are nonexistent so going forward to change head sails can be a walk on the wild side if you are in rough seas. Also we loved it when we added a bimini.

You will find that without an inboard engine you have an unbelievable space under the cockpit floor. You can really stash loads of stuff in that area. It is a cinch to take your outboard engine home for the winter or to the shop for work. Just can't do that with an inboard engine. The downside of the outboard is the prop comes out of the water in steep waves.

Do check that the deck mast step is not sinking with flex in the coach roof. You may note rigging getting loose or cracks in the glass at the mast step.

I think a survey is a good investment. Boat repairs cost the same if you have an expensive vessel or a budget one. I would want to know just what would be needed to keep my new vessel seaworthy and a pleasure, not a disappointment, to own.

Good luck. Know there are plenty of vessels to explore. I would try to see a few of a model I like to see which one is the best for my use.

Leslie

s/v Tango, Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook