SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bow Eye?
Thread: Bow Eye?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Bow Eye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTT View Post
Ok. So im going to use life caulk for the bow eye. A friend at work suggested that I also put a block of marine plywood behind the u bolt and glass the whole thing. Is this necessary, has anyone heard of the u bolt pulling out or cracking a fiberglass hull? It just seems like overkill to me, but then I am new and don't have alot of experience working with boats.
Overkill!!!!! Not necessary!

If your fibgerglass is really really flimsy you could consider the plywood block option but why on earth would you glass it in place? The glass wouldn't help it keep from pulling out. The glass might keep it from rotting over time, but in that case you're better off with a piece of aluminum as a backing plate. You can cut fairly thick aluminum with a jigsaw.

Back to the not necessary part.... What forces do you expect the bow eye to endure? You're going to use it to slide (float) the boat up the wet skids of a trailer. That's not much force.

Use the bolt, life-caulk, and be done with it. One tip for working with the life-caulk 4200, 5200 or other caulk is to have a fingerbowl of soapy water nearby. Apply lots of caulk, let it sqeeze out as you tighten the U'bolts and then wipe it off with your soaped up finger. The caulk won't stick to your finger and you can get a really professional looking bead that way just by running your finger along the edge.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook