SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar Conundrum
Thread: Solar Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Solar Conundrum

While I think it is unlikely he'd find a non-MPPT controller that can safely handle dropping a 60v panel to charge a 12-volt battery, it certainly isn't impossible.

Even a simple three-pin regulator can often handle a 30-volt drop from input to output, diasychain two of those, each with a bootstrap FET or other device to handle the power, and voila, yes, you can charge a 12v battery from a 60v source.

What's on the market? Damfino, someone in China is making and selling almost everything these days, which is why I'd still ask one of the MPPT companies what they have successfully used and recommend in that situation.

And if the answer needs a hundred bucks worth of custom regulator...That's OK, that's certainly possible too. The point being, there are options, the charging CAN be done automatically and safely. Just not conventionally with one device. (Although, I've seen some RV solar controllers designed with two regulators, two outputs, no idea what ratings.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook