SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Sorry. I still don't get it. I've never seen a chain come apart that wasn't badly corroded first or grossly overloaded. 1/4" is plenty big for your boat. I've sat through three hurricanes on one anchor and 8mm (about 5/16") HT anchor chain. Why is chain coming apart on you that shouldn't based on both design data and the empirical data from others? Why does fate have a grudge against you?
1/4" HT BBB chain has a WLL of 2600 pounds but a breaking strength of 7800 pounds.. Something is just not adding up.. There is no way a 9000 pound boat can apply the breaking load even in a hurricane.

You might want to take a look at the Practical Sailor anchor rode load article recently published. Even a 38 foot catamaran in 65 knots does not exceed the the WLL of 1/4" chain..

Still I do like heavier chain if only for keeping sailing at anchor down a bit..

I do think pictures are in order...

Edit: Just saw the anchor as bent too. I would guess that a 7000 pound + load on the bow of a 9000 pound boat would nearly stand it on end.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-27-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook