SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
1/4" HT BBB chain has a WLL of 2600 pounds but a breaking strength of 7800 pounds.. Something is just not adding up.. There is no way a 9000 pound boat can apply the breaking load even in a hurricane.

You might want to take a look at the Practical Sailor anchor rode load article recently published. Even a 38 foot catamaran in 65 knots does not exceed the the WLL of 1/4" chain..

Still I do like heavier chain if only for keeping sailing at anchor down a bit..

I do think pictures are in order...

Edit: Just saw the anchor as bent too. I would guess that a 7000 pound + load on the bow of a 9000 pound boat would nearly stand it on end.....

Obviously I didn't have a scale between my bow cleat and a chain link but, since your so good a guessing, what do you think, with main sail up, in 20 knots of wind, is the pull force, on a hung anchor, of a 1965 soverel 28?... Well with out guessing, and in the day's before digital camera phones where needed to prove anything happened at all, I can tell you with certainty, that it's enough force to bend a little 25 pound danforth and seperate the links of some tiny 1/4 anchor chain.
No guessing, or imagining, or quoting text book math, that's actual real world stuff... my bow dipped but came no where near standing on end, as you guessed.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-27-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook