SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I hear you MS, but when you have the right stuff (actual grey butyl- not one of the other variations - I am completely aware of the variants that sit on the same shelf as butyl), it is the same. I have held both your butyl and "mine" in my hands and compared the two, and what I buy is 100% identical.

If it isn't identical, it's probably not actually labeled as grey butyl - it's probably one of the similar variants that sits on the same shelf. A lot of people don't know what they are actually looking at when shopping for butyl for the first time.

Fwiw
Yeah, I have bought it from rv supply stores and mobile home parts manufacturers. Typically these stores have 4 to 5 different kinds of grey butyl tape on their shelves. Each good for different applications.

I personally like the kind that can stretch and has the consistency of chewed gum. Some grey butyl tape is more like a playdoh-ish consistency and doesn't stretch well.

Like he said if you get the right stuff its all the same. I buy mine for under $6 for a 30 foot roll.

I personally will never go back to curing sealants.