SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
post #201 of Old 07-29-2012
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I hear you MS, but when you have the right stuff (actual grey butyl- not one of the other variations - I am completely aware of the variants that sit on the same shelf as butyl), it is the same. I have held both your butyl and "mine" in my hands and compared the two, and what I buy is 100% identical.

If it isn't identical, it's probably not actually labeled as grey butyl - it's probably one of the similar variants that sits on the same shelf. A lot of people don't know what they are actually looking at when shopping for butyl for the first time.

Yeah, I have bought it from rv supply stores and mobile home parts manufacturers. Typically these stores have 4 to 5 different kinds of grey butyl tape on their shelves. Each good for different applications.

I personally like the kind that can stretch and has the consistency of chewed gum. Some grey butyl tape is more like a playdoh-ish consistency and doesn't stretch well.

Like he said if you get the right stuff its all the same. I buy mine for under $6 for a 30 foot roll.

I personally will never go back to curing sealants.

Never sailed before. Quit my job, bought a SMALL sailboat and moved on with the wife dog and cat. Blogging about our experience
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome