SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

No offense, sorry to hurt feelings. A couple of points A. What is the force created by a 4 foot rolling wave in 40 knot's of wind while trying to sail out of a tight spot on a 9000 lb boat, when all the forces hit at that horrible perfect moment of impact?. 2. 1/4 doesn't have the weight to lessen the pull on the anchor. I can't say what quality chain the coast guard replaced my heavy chain with only that it was new and 1/4 inch. 3. When droppin in a hury, emergancy under way and out of control, the light anchor and chain won't sink quick enough. and how often do you recomend changing out the chain, " in rust we trust" corrosion happens and I want my 4 year old chain to still have plenty of strength even with a little wear, not be at it's threshold. I'm sure the mantus is a neat an innovative anchor and perfect for normal conditions for hand raising. But conditions go from normal to extreme when we least expect it. If there is a windless on board, than why use light, dainty, sensitve, just good enough most of the time, gear?

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-30-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook