SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fishfinder vs depth sensor
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012

tspooner is on a distinguished road
Re: Fishfinder vs depth sensor

I just finished installing a Lowrance plotter/fishfinder/depth combo unit on my boat using the provided transducer as a shoot thru hull. Not having a pedestal rail I had to mount the unit by the companionway where it was still visible enough for my deteriorating vision. There were two gaping holes there anyway where the useless old spinning depth finder and non functioning knot meter used to be. I bolted on a stained cedar board to cover the holes and after caulking the perimeter simply screwed on the units mounting base to it. The only real drawback with this location is that the halyard and mainsheets could get entangled around the unit if you're not careful plus my vertically challenged first mate often changes the adjustable screen angle when she's leaning over it to make adjustments to the mainsheet or cabin top located traveller. I like the fishfinder function as it does show the upcoming bottom relief and type together with the depth up to 1000 ft. Our prawns here like to hide deep so we needed a unit that would accurately show depths of 300 feet plus.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook