SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I respectfully suggest you anchor with 1/4 inch chain in a storm, with an unexpected set of rollers comeing a cross an anchorage with some fetch, hang the anchor on some un accounted for debris, don some dive gear and go down an actually watch the forces of nature with your own eyes instead reading about it. then shorten the chain till your right up on the anchor and sail around on it untill your able to get it free all the while bouncing in said big chop. I respectfully doubt reading an article is going to sell me a 7 pound anchor and chain that I can't even get a grip on. On paper, math makes sense, the forces of the ocean will make a believer out of you.
Well, my 40' cutter is 22,000# so I use 8mm (about 5/16") HT chain.

I often anchor out in roadsteads so I get expected rollers and generally a lot of fetch. I usually anchor in areas where diving isn't a lot of fun, but when I'm in the Bahamas or the Caribbean I do get the chance to watch the dynamics. The analysis Mr. Fraysse presents is very well supported by empirical observation.

My anchor holds very well, so my normal means of weighing anchor is to haul the rode in to vertical and wait for the boat motion to break it free. I don't understand your point.

If it weren't for science and engineering not much of anything would work.

I'm not an armchair sailor. I do sail the bottom paint off my boat. There is a difference between just reading about things and understanding the physics of nature that allows us to predict responses and design the appropriate systems to deal with them.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook