SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I know when I sail in and drop my big ass anchor and heavy chain I'm doing the right thing. Working in the commercial side of boating I see a lot of force and see big things snap. I've been anchored out for well over 20 years and pretty much the whole time. True, I have'nt read a lot of what other people do, Haven't had to. I've been using big ground tackle and it's been working great. I have a nice selection of anchors for pretty much all conditions. Yall think I should study up on anchoring so what, I can start using dinky sh!t. If the metal on a chain link is smaller then my pinky finger, it's to small. Not just for it's working load strength, but the ability to hold it in my hand, and weight. I guess we are beating a dead horse at this point, You guy's go on and use what you learned in the book and I'll keep using what is probably overkill, but that's the point, leaving the boat on the hook to explore the area your cruising for a day or two and not having to wonder, but knowing you are more than prepaired for what ever mother nature dish's out. The live aboard anchorage in my area is huge and year round, seen a lot dragging and snapping and a lot of "Well the book said it was big enough'" but on the 14th day of back to back northers, gear is in a different state of fatigue. Things start to happen. Sh!t starts breaking and boats hit the bank.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-30-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook