I have a 20-ish gallon fresh water tank. This is a 28-year-old boat. Does anyone consider this water drinkable, and if so, what do you do to keep the tank and lines sanitary?
I bought a 25 year old boat. Before I closed the deal, she had been neglected for at least an entire season with filled tanks on a mooring. I thought that the smell was that the holding tank had leaked - until I turned on the faucet in the galley.
After the deal closed, I replaced every hose that I could, and then I hit the 30 gallon tanks with about 1/4 cup in each of this;
According to the manufacturer;
Smart Shock is the best way to shock, oxidize, buffer and clarify ... water. Multi-functional Smart Shock also kills bacteria and contains blue algae killing crystals....
After about 3 weeks, I completely flushed out both tanks with fresh water.
Since then I add about 1 tbsp per tank to keep the water clean & clear.
I don't drink from the tanks though. Bottled water for drinking, making coffee and brushing my teeth.