SailNet Community - View Single Post - The great sailboat giveaway!
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012

RayThackeray is on a distinguished road
Re: The great sailboat giveaway!

Thank you for your approval of our concept. We make no illusions, IRG is a startup organization - every org has to start somewhere, this is where we are now.

Getting boats is no problem - we are successfully doing that, with more in the pipeline.

Getting crews is not difficult, we already have a number who want this boat. They all fully accept it's up to them to maintain the boat. I do accept your point about major failures, and we have in fact thought that through. We are getting a constant flow of donated equipment, and are confident that we can keep our boats active, even in the expensive cases such as repowering.

As an example, we had one wonderful benefactor donate major generators and motors, brand new, worth $160,000 on the market, for one of our boats. So yes, some of our vessels will be awaiting work at any particular time, but hopefully not when they are really needed.

Despite the skepticism, we are charging ahead and not letting anything get in our way. IRG will be operational this November, and we plan to have a boat in many regions by end 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Well I think it sounds like a great idea, that is the concept is good. The execution I am not so sure about. I'm not sure how many people there are who could afford the costs to maintain a boat to a safe standard, but couldn't afford the purchase price. Especially since 2 years of cruising means no time at home generating income...
You say the crew is expected to maintain it, but who defines what maintaining is??
Who pays when it needs new sails, major engine work etc? I would be unhappy re-powering my own boat, nevermind another person's boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook