SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

I'm guessing we are also discussing a permanent type anchor system vs temporary as most of us use our anchoring system as, IE less than 24-48 hrs vs 24/7 for how long?

Reality is, if you boat is anchored in what most of us would call a permanent place, one needs a different setup for ea. I personally see and saw the difference when setting bouy's for permanent anchor setups, then again, the anchor itself was different shape size etc also. A 250 lb mushroom makes a great permanent anchor once dug into the soil vs say a danforth or Gregs Mantus. Frankly, I really doubt the mantus was ment to me in one place for a long time, ie more than say 30 days a stretch! much less 48 hrs.

At the end of the day, we need something that is reasonably light, strong in such a way that our boat does not drag, etc. What you have would hold a freaken tank! I'm having a hard time imagining that setup unless hooked to 200-400+ lbs of blob concrete, or mushroom with a bouy at the surface, with max a 2-1 scope/depth ratio with some extra for wave height. IF I DID DO a mantus for a permanent system, I would probably have 3-5 of them in equal distance around in a circle, so I was pulling on two of them at any angle to the bouy, with some kind of shackle such that the main anchor chains did not cross up. Hence where I might actually use a Bruce/claw as this is the actual design usage but for oil rigs!

I have to admit, your anchor system to me any how, is ANYTHING but permanent in nature. It is not going to be used by someone floating about, here and there etc.

marty