SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let's talk about anchors some more
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Let's talk about anchors some more

Listen, I sail all over the Caribbean with my 100' of 5/8 chain and my 48.9 pound CQR. I sail into what ever anchorage, point into the wind and stall, drop the CQR., lower the main and let the wind take me as I let out the chain, take a turn on my cleat, and done, boat sit's there and I'm anchored, the links on the chain are big enough for me to use some decent sized 3 strand as shock absorber so I put about a 3 foot snubber or what ever. When I leave I raise the sail. pick up the chain as I sail up on it, when I pass a certain point I take turn, which causes me to tack and continue pulling in the chain, anchor comes up, raise the jib and I'm off. It's the easiest thing in the world. I do it, and have been doing since 1989, before that I had a couple of 35 pound danforths with 30 feet of 3/8 and some 1/2 inch line as primary's. I'm a Merchant Marine and I like big ground tackle, My permanent system is made up of 2 150 pound home made anchors. I leave my boat anchored on them in a creek with a hard bottom in Key West 2 week's at a time while I'm at sea. When I'm cruising, I don't drag, it doesn't happen, ever. My boat is as secure as it can possibly be, I can leave the boat. One time in '92 I ran low on funds, left the boat anchored in Belize for a month on my system to fly to Miami and work a little saved up a grand and went back. Not worried about chafe, dragging, nothing. I've rarley met people who be-bop around as much as I do with no engine and a big ass anchor, so no it's not, and yes it is a pemanent system, it's a permanent system that travels well.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 07-31-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook