Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 8
Re: Family sailing report with photos and embedded questions
Fill the tank and flush all the hoses with a mixture of one tablespoon of chlorine bleach to 5 gallons of water. Let the mixture sit in the tank and hoses for at least an hour. Rinse with fresh water. After that it will be quite safe to drink the water from your system.
It is still possible, however, that the water will not taste good to you. In that case you could try an additional rinse with mixtures of vinegar and water, or baking soda and water. If none of this works, time to replace the hoses and the tank.
Some people, though, are just very sensitive to the slight plastic taste/odor that comes from such water tanks, and no amount of cleaning and disinfecting will make the water taste good to them. If that's you, you might need to switch to a stainless steel water tank.
If you do that, DO NOT EVER use chlorine bleach to disinfect a stainless steel tank! Bleach and stainless steel do not play nice together.