SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dinghy sailing - tacking
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012

W3ODF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to W3ODF
Re: Dinghy sailing - tacking

Hey thanks everyone. Great replies! I also talked offline to some of my sailing mentors and this is what they said as well:

1. Be sure your jib is inside the shrouds not outside.
2. A 45 degree point is considered average and I would feel good with that.
3. Sitting on the rails, or using a hiking strap, or moving your crew weight forward toward the keel box will help with point.
4. Old blown sails can affect point but yours looked pretty good to me.
5. Sometimes you can move faster with less point and more angle. The guy with more point can sometimes actually be moving slower though he has better point angle. That means you can arrive at your destination faster or at least at the same time as the other guy. In other words a good point doesn't always mean more speed. My Sovereign could make a 39 degree point if I made rig adjustments including mast bend) but she sailed faster at 45 degrees. Fancy racing boats (a J-24 for example) can move fast with a narrow point but they have to have a myriad of rigging adjustments to pull it off, hull design and keel design. Very good point with very good speed often means poor sailing comfort

I know for sure that I was trying to sail much to close to the wind. I am going to stick with a 45 to 50 degree angle next time.