SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

learning to sail

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  sailbum105 
#1 ·
I have been a power boater for 15 years and lived aboard our 40’ cruiser for extended periods of time. So I have some general boating experience. I am looking into sailing. How many sailors take formal sailing lesions? I took an introductory class and it seems there are some technical basics I need to learn. Can I learn them online & than practice on the water? I am looking at a 30’ sailboat for starters.

#3 ·
Read a few books was all I did. Just get out there and give it a try! Some people would have others thinking it's a big scary intimidating learning curve but it's not.
That said, I want to take a coastal nav course someday :)

#4 ·
Hey,

I learned most of what I know by reading about it and then practicing. I don't think it's that hard to learn. I did sail a relatively small boat (Catalina 22) for a year before I moved up to a 28'. It also helps to sail on other people's boats and to try to crew on a race boat.

Good luck,
Barry

#7 ·
At first, I taught myself with a lot of book reading and web forum input.
Then, I started racing on other people's boats which accelerated my learning curve exponentially.

I did start out on a pretty small, 25 foot boat though. I found it easy to handle alone. Then, I bumped up to 30 feet and I plan to stay there for ease of handling, operating and maintanence cost reasons.

If you're not interested in racing, dinghy sailing will also quickly teach you how to sail. Dinghies require quick responses in helm and sail trim, and these skills translate very well to large, keelboat sailing.

#10 ·
i suggest you go out with an instructor a few times, whether just you two or as part of a group lesson is up to you. it's more effective to have someone experienced show you, watch you, correct you, and then have you practice. Focus on: man overboard (sharpens mmaneuvering skills), heave to, reefing and then docking under sail, picking up a mooring under sail and anchoring

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.