SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

bl asked me to cross this from another thread on fiberglass repairs:

Being a cheap, miserly guy I tend to regret wasting stuff (although one could make a case that I absolutely LOVE to waste time, but that's another issue...).

Like our dear friend bl, I've used the West pumps through gallons of resins, and I've never been disappointed with the mix. But those pumps aren't cheap (make that inexpensive) and that always rubbed me a little against the grain.

Fast forward a couple of projects. I had numerous spots that needed the strength of epoxy but not the volume even one pump of the West pumps delivered. I wound up using some MAS epoxy, which has a 2:1 mix ratio. Looking for the convenience of the metered pump (but without the cost) I raided our recycling bin and pulled out a couple of Dial liquid hand soap dispensers. I cleaned them up and grabbed our digital kitchen scale. I did some consistency checks using water as the medium, comparing the weight of single and multiple strokes of both pumps. Guess what? They were pretty much dead on. So, after charging them with the MAS resin and hardener, I now have a "metered" pump set for small batches of epoxy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook