SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012

py26129 is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallybuyingaboat View Post
. And voila! a home made sail prefeeder that works like a charm!
Absolutely brillliant!!!

My low buck project was a home built anemometer.

Parts required:
3 plastic Table spoon measuring spoons from the dollar store $3
1 spray paint can lid, free
1 bicycle spedometer, Walmart, $10
1 bent stantion free
1 BBQ rail mount, free, found in garbage at the club, if you believe it
1 bearing, free scrounged form a dead VCR (ask your friends)
Total cost: $13

Cut three slots in the paint at 120 deg. intervals and glue in the measuring spoons. Hot met glue works well. Use more hot melt glue to gleu theVCR bearing into the center for the paint can lid and glue the bike spedometer magnet to the inside of the paint can lid.

Trim the stantion to any height you like. I drilled and threaded the top (i.e. closed part) of the stantion to accept the thumb screw of the BBQ mount. Ttehn, use more hot melt glue to glue the stantion to the bearing in the paint can cap. Don't ask, but make sure it goes on straight else it wobbles in the most unprofessional manner.

Next tie wrap the bike speedometer thingie that nomally goes on the bike fork, to the stantion close to the magnet inside the cap.

To calibrate, beg, borrow or steal a hand held anemomenter and your wife's hair dryerand adjust the wheel size on the bike speedometer until the reaidngs on the hand held and the speedometer match.

Then take your new pride an joy to your boat and mount in a good place.

The cool thing is that most bike speedometers have a memory so you will be able to see max wind speed and average wind speed etc.

Cheers

Matt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook