SailNet Community - View Single Post - No A/C when motoring?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: No A/C when motoring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPapagiorgio View Post
Hi everyone,

I don't own a boat (yet), but we've done a fair amount of chartering on the Nothern Chesapeake Bay. Our last trip was July 6-8 during the extreme heat. The high temperature was well over 100 degrees and the wind was constantly at our back (when there was wind).

Usually, it's fairly comfortable down below when under way becuase the air temps are usually lower on the water and there's generally a pretty good breeze. On this trip however, it was just unbearable.

We had my 2-year-old son with us and it was way too hot for him to take a nap down below, so he ended up being pretty miserable for most of the trip.

Anyway, I was wondering why you can't use the engine to power the A/C like in a car. The boat we had out was a Catalina 350, but as far as I know, most, if not all, sailboats are set up so that the A/C is only operational if plugged into shore power or if you have an onboard generator. Anyone know why? Also, how hard would it be, or is it even possible, to rig something up to allow the A/C to run while the engine is on?

Thanks,

Kevin
Like you we did a lot of chartering on the Chesapeake when the kids were little. My fix wasn't the AC. I started chartering in Maine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook